Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA
From: Steve <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:03:32 +0100
Suhner data shows approx. 500W based on dielectric strength, but there's
a second 'low SWR' curve on the chart which extrapolates to around 1500W
at 1.3GHz. The spec. also gives 10kW for 1us. The contact resistances
are listed as a few milliohms, so you'd be looking at 10s amps to create
significant heating.

Not all SMAs (or other connectors) are created equal. I handle many
brands of connector; I reckon Suhner are consistently the best quality,
and that's not pro Eu/anti US bias :-)

UTI rate .141" coax for 300-400W at 1GHz, depending on the materials and
plating. This will push the cable to max. rated temp., 125 or 150C I
think, so might be more than you'd choose to run if you don't want to
burn your fingers.

Steve