Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Steve'" <g8gsq72@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA
From: "Sam Carpenter" <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:30:28 -0400
They work ok but will show up on a good res time domain reflectometer or
keen oscilloscope at 150 mhz. I can tell a barrel splice from a 30-50-30
squiggle on the tape or screen wherever it is on the line. I would think any
vhf/uhf work would be fine until you turned the wick way up. I knew a fellow
that ran an 8877 HB amp with one into a perfectly flat 50 ohm load for hours
on end in repeater operation. I think my point was high power and high
frequency may not be their strongest attribute and that when surprises
happen, they happen fast, in a flash so to speak and may take a tube or
bandswitch with it.

Sam