Re: [Amps] Should a blower run after amp shutdown?

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Should a blower run after amp shutdown?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:35:46 -0400
Gerald, that has been around for many decades. The SB-220 is a prime example of
a current limited filament transformer. Henry, Johnson, Ameritron, Amp Supply,
Drake, and others using the same 5V/15A filament family of tubes seem to be
fine also.

Now if the filament winding is on the HV transformer that may be a different
issue but the AL-80 series and SB-1000 clone appears to not take out filaments
either. Nor do any of the 2-4 572B amps.

Cathode tubes such as the 3CX800, 8877, YC-156 and similar have controlled
warm-up so inrush is minimized.

Eimac indeed does include a spec for the 3-500Z that inrush current be limited
to 2X at turn-on.

Carl
KM1H