[Amps] What type of amplifier is best

To: Amplifier Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] What type of amplifier is best
From: Shon Edwards <sre.1966@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:54:10 -0700
Hello all.

I know I am revealing my ignorance, as most of what is on this list goes
above my head.  However, I am looking to buy an amplifier, full legal limit
(1500 W -- US or more wattage -- I mean one which will yield an SSB
continuous wave carrier at 1500 W for a reasonable amount of time to carry
on QSOs), and wonder which might be best for me in my situation.  I am just
looking for something that will endure through years of use.  I must admit
I do not know anything beyond this.  Perhaps you could ask me more
questions about specific use to help you narrow down, if necessary.

A couple I have been looking at buying are the following:  Ameritron
AL-1500, AL-1200, and AL-82.  I'm open to others, as well.  I know many of
you are experts at making your own.  Perhaps I would even go this route, if
it would save me enough money.  I have done plenty of building of
electronic equipment in the past -- just not amplifiers.

I am using an FT-857D, fed with about 100 ft. of LMR-400, attached to an
external remote automatic antenna tuner, MFJ-998RT, and an MFJ-2990 43 ft.
vertical antenna (all of which can handle the 1500 W or more).

Again, forgive me for my ignorance; I'm sure I will get a few comments
like, "go to school for a few years" or some such.  I'm sure this would
help, but in lieu of this, perhaps you could help me with a few ideas :).

Thank you all,

73 de K6QT, Shon

--
Shon R. Edwards,