Re: [Amps] Buying Stolen Tubes?

To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buying Stolen Tubes?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:50:01 -0400
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:57 AM

On 03/13/12 11:31 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> I remember hearing, I think it was a TV news story, several years ago
> that said 60% is stolen.  Seems a little high to me but it may be in
> some categories.
>
> It would be an interesting thing to Google.

Yes, perhaps there is 60% stolen in some categories. I could believe that
figure.

Something else I know, is there are a lot of fakes on eBay. There was
someone
selling holders for hard disks which go in IBM servers. (These are generally
called skeds or sleds).

He had two adverts - one for non-original IBM holders, and another for what
he
said were genuine IBM holders. The difference in price was quite
substantial, so
I decided to buy 4 of the non-IBM ones, see if they were OK, and if they
were,
I'd buy enough for all my IBM servers. They came from Hong Kong or China - I
forget which.

When these non-original ones arrived, they looked just like the real thing.
They
are diecast metal, and clearly have "IBM" in the die cast. So these are not
just
IBM compatible, they are fakes.

I've got to admit, it did not stop me buying some more. I knew they were
fakes,
but they are 100% compatible, and much cheaper than what he says are
original
IBM ones. I suspect the originals and the fakes are just the same to be
honest.

** Its quite common in Asia to produce a legitimate part for a US OEM and at
the same time sell it into the secondary market.....with and without the
OEM's approval.

OTOH that has absolutely nothing to do with the tube in question.

Carl
KM1H