[Amps] question for you experts...

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] question for you experts...
From: Kathy Bookmiller <wb2aio@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
I was doing some checking out everything on my amp. (NCL2000) and noticed that
the 2.5mh choke that is after the loading capacitor in the amp. was
open-connection/wire is gone. Looking at others amps., I see they all have
them-it would be rfc3 in a SB200, 1.1mh., for example.
Since they are in all amps, at least tube ones, what is it for? My guess it is
to short out the HV if the coupling cap. shorted coming from the plates, but if
I'm right, it doesn't seem heavy enough for a good power supply not to just
burn it up and keep on putting the HV on the antenna/output.
I think I can save the one in my amp. if I can get the paint off the wire by
scrapping or chemicals and reconnect it, but by doing this, I'll eliminate one
of the 4 sections on the choke, but doubt that change in value would be a big
problem?
Enlighten this poor QRPer,
Kathy W2NK