Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:58:40 -0400
> I'm an ardent "tube" amp man for this reason. They're significantly
> more robust and bullet proof in the longevity stakes.

I don't believe that for a minute if you compare apples to apples.

Most of the tube designs have been significantly "over engineered".
That is, the tubes have excess plate dissipation for the power output
and grids that will take a significant beating.

If one looks at amplifiers like the MLA-2500 or Alpha 76 series with
tubes that have grid dissipation in the 10 watt range and no grid
protection ... tubes that have become unobtainium ... there are plenty
of owners that have been reduced to tears at the cost (or lack) of
replacements.  Even the 8877 is not exactly an "unforgiving" tube
when used in designs that lack proper grid protection and the 3-500Z
are not safe in an unmodified TL-822.

Given proper design and protection, modern solid state devices will
last a lifetime unlike tubes that *will* need to be replaced due to
filament/cathode aging.  Transistor amplifiers don't suffer from
catastrophic arcing and certainly don't represent the electrocution
danger of tube amplifiers.

There are pros and cons on both sides of the solid state vs. tube
debate but choose the appropriate amplifying device, operate it
within its design parameters, keep it cool and provide the proper
protective circuits and either will provide years of trouble free
service.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV