Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:02:40 -0700
On 4/29/2012 5:24 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> Most of the tube designs have been significantly "over engineered".
>> >  That is, the tubes have excess plate dissipation for the power output
>> >  and grids that will take a significant beating.
> Which is a plus for tubes.

Naw, it's a plus for conservative design.

One thing that seems to be missed in this discussion about home brewing
amps was clearly pointed in a comment in this thread -- the key to solid
state amp design is THERMAL design and protection.  Those are very
different skills than most amp designers of our generation learned, so
at least in part, it's an "old dog new tricks" problem, not a limitation
of the technology.

73, Jim K9YC