Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B's -- worth using?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B's -- worth using?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:06:27 -0400
On 6/20/2012 8:15 PM, Carl wrote:
> At 1000W PD the 1500B requires less air (18 vs 25)at virtually the same
> pressure drop (.23 vs .20).
> There is a huge increase going to 1500W.

The DX-2sp is a great example of that with its Chinese version the
4CX1500B, the FU728F.  Run it easy and it'll just loaf along. Run the
legal limit on high duty cycle and the blowers will kick into hi gear
after a few minutes for a substantial increase in wind out the top and
it's downright toasty! <:-))  I haven't seen any figures on IM compared
to the 4CX1500B. They too are the same size and fit the same socket, but
use a different filament voltage.  OTOH the FU728F will run 2200 W
nominal and 2500 PEP out with less plate dissipation rating.  You have
too set the bias, but you have to do that every time you change tubes.
With the DX-3sp you have to set the bias on both tubes when ever
changing so you can change just one tube without having to adjust both
tubes.

I like the idea of the 4CX1500A though. With the *mesh basket* is it
still basically instant on? Also It'll go to 220 MHZ where the cut off
for the B is 150 MHz.

What's a new 1500A cost now days?  I assume it fits the same socket as
the B model although my data sheets show the SK-831 for the A while B
just says 800 series.  The FU728F has a slightly larger centering pin
requiring that the pin be turned down a few thousandths or replaced with
one around 0.003 to 0.005 smaller.  The Chinese tube also has a
different filament voltage.

73

Roger (K8RI)