Re: [Amps] Forms for air wound coils

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Forms for air wound coils
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 7/23/2012 4:38:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Gudguyham@aol.com writes:

Other than ceramic, can anything else be used as a coil form?    Heathkit
used a fiberglass form in the SB-220.  At least I think it  was
fiberglass.
Seems to have worked OK.  Dentron used what  looks to be  some type of
phenolic material.  Not really sure what  it was.   Anything out there that
can be
used that does not cost  an arm and a leg?  I  am looking to make a coil
for
RF about 1  1/2" to 1 3/4" dia about 6" long. Not  to be used for plate
chokes.  Lou

Phenolic tubing is very good material to wind high-power HF inductors  with.
It has good dielectric strength and has a high heat resistance.

Model rocket builders use lightweight phenolic tubing for the rocket  body,
or airframe as they call it. I found a supplier called :

_www.publicmissiles.com_ (http://www.publicmissiles.com)

They have a large selection of different diameter phenolic airframe tubes
at good prices.
A piece of approx. 1.5" dia. phenolic tube cut to 36" length sells for
about $10. It can be
easily cut to length with a hacksaw.

I don't know where else you can find 3ft cut lengths of phenolic tubing
without having
to buy a huge minimum  order online. They have all different size
diameters that
would be great for high power inductors or choke winding. They have no
minimum order.

When you get to their main page, click on Webstore. Then click on
Airframes.
They take online orders and will take PayPal also.

73 - Todd WD4NGG