Re: [Amps] Overdrive protection

To: "Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Overdrive protection
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:02:36 -0400
Vic,

I believe the firmware already does this, even going back to the 86.   In
the newer amps, the log is probably there: (1) to assist in troubleshooting
and repairs; and (2) to provide Alpha the evidence needed in such situations
to avert a warranty repair at their expense where perhaps abuse seems to be
repetetive.  In other words, the technology is there, but to protect against
repairs at their expense, it becomes a viable warranty defense.  I also
suspect that they would only invoke it in cases where it appears the log
shows multiple overdive hits over long periods of time, and not an
unintentional occurance.

The SPE 1K solid-state amp uses a fast feed-forward protection system and
the amp also records many types of faults to a log file for similar
purposes.

Paul, W9AC