Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 16:36:11 -0400
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 2:18 PM

>  > and there are plenty of hams around the world still using the
>  > old 4-400A and
>  > 4-1000A in GG which are late 1940's designs. NOS 813's are
>  > still all over
>  > the world.
>
> I for one. My Homebrewed pair of 4-400's amp has been in steady service
> since i built it in 1979.
> My Clipperton-L (4x572) has been in service since 1980.
>
> Nothing bad about "OLD". After all I started my ham career in 1954 with a
> 813 AM (ART-13). Some of them are still around.
>
> I still like "OLD", especially the XYL of 59 years.....;)
>
>    73s de Jim
>       W5IFP

I run an ATC (USN ART-13 predecessor) on 17M AM, it just makes it with the
PTO but tunes/loads fine.

It was either add AM to the mix several years ago or get into the digital
crap as chasing DX was getting boring and its hard to find anyone to have an
intelligent ragchew with on SSB on most bands.

So now I have several boatanchor rigs, receivers, and a couple of HB amps
and modulators that use big glass bottles but none of that 866A/872A crap.
AM capability from 1.8 to 144 MHz and activity is growing.

Im not into old women, need a 40 something GF (-; but Im a lot younger than
you still....

Carl
KM1H