Re: [Amps] Can some explain this curious eBay auction

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can some explain this curious eBay auction
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 04:18:06 -0400
On 8/25/2012 8:21 PM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

>   > Hummm, I need to check my inventory of tubes....
>
> I did, two days ago... I have loads of Sylvania 6A6 NOS, but alas, they
> seem to sell for just 12 bucks apiece... I will have to wait until
> somebody discovers and adequately publicizes their magical properties of
> generating "good" distortion.  They are power triodes, after all, and
> pretty old. You can make a push pull triode amp from each one, since
> they are dual.
>
> Or maybe I should start that myth myself, to create a worldwide dire
> need for 6A6 tubes, and then start selling mine, one or two at a time! ;-)

All you need is something reasonably rare and at least two people who
REALLY want them.

> When the 6A6 are all sold, at a few thousand bucks each, I can start
> promoting the DLL21 in the same way, because I also have a bunch of them!
>
> But I will keep the blue Arcturus '27 to myself. It's too beautiful to
> sell. And the Telefunken and Mullard gold-color metallized ones with
> screw cap on top, too.

I'd been thinking for quite a while I'd like to get an S-Line for a
tube, back up rig as the prices haven't been all that bad for some in
pretty good shape although the most recent, round emblems are getting a
bit pricey.  But when I started looking at tube prices  and keeping a
couple sets I decided that if there is a big solar flare, I'll just
disconnect everything. My whole shop is bonded steel after all, which
makes for reasonably good shielding.

73

Roger (K8RI)