Re: [Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:10:09 -0400

On 3/16/2013 11:10 PM, Paul Hewitt wrote:
Greetings Ian
Besides the lower back pressure advantage of blowing into the anode
compartment, this method also cools the tank components. This helps reduce
themal tuning drift in very hi-Q tanks.
73, Paul

One thing to remember about external anode tubes. They often have cooling requirements listed as so many cfm at a given back pressure,

I do not know of any way to achieve the required air flow at a reduced back pressure other than an exhaust fan reducing the exhaust pressure thus making it a little easier to get more cooling air through.
I believe Emtron and OM both use this approach on some models.

OTOH is relatively easy to raise the back pressure required for a given flow with obstructions

73

Roger (K8RI)

Many sockets dont offer any specs either so it becomes a guessing game by the time youre thru.

Eimac had some of the most restrictive sockets with the klugey aluminum ones used with the 4-400A and 4-1000A. They were plentiful and cheap in surplus but the noise from the blowers was intense so hams started trimming the tube base holes and notches for less restriction and smaller blowers.

Carl
KM1H