[Amps] bad 572B's

To: "Amp Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] bad 572B's
From: "kingwood" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:39:52 -0500
Greetings to all,

Last week, I received a case (10 tubes) of new Chinese 572B tubes from a distributor that I have bought tubes from for over ten years. These tubes were new, from the latest production. I plugged two into a SB-200 and was disappointed to see a bit less than 50 % of the expected power. I tried another pair and got the same results. I went through the entire case and found them all to be way, way, down in emission, but, I must say, they were extremely well balanced. HI Hi

I had a pair of 572B's, from the same source, that I bought about two years ago, in another amp. I plugged them into the test amp and got the normal, expected, output. The entire case of new 572B's went back to the distributor. I wonder if they mixed up some low Mu tubes with their Hi Mu, 572B's at the factory.

There was some discussion about the Svetlana the 572-160, in one post. They are excellent tubes for audio work. They have, basically, the same internal structure (large graphite anode) as the 572B, but, without a plate cap, they would not be an simple job to install them in an SB-200, FL-2100, or Ameritron amp. But, for the AM'ers, they make a great modulator tube.

73 de Lon, K5JV

Lon W. Cottingham

1110 Golden Bear Ln.
Kingwood, TX 77339