Re: [Amps] Rectifier equilization?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rectifier equilization?
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 01:57:02 +0000
Hardy,

I have 100 1N5408's that came off the same reel so I feel they should
be matched fairly close. I would like to hear a few opinions. Thanks

When the original diodes blew in my National Radio NCL2000, I replaced them by strings of five 1N5408, without any equalizing components. That was about 15 years ago. The amp is still working fine.

My 1N5408 diodes were bought in a local store. They had them loose in a cardboard box. I have no idea whether or not they came from the same batch, but it's likely. And they are of the cheapest variety, no brand name on them, only the "1N5408" printed with very poor paint that flakes off very easily. And they work just fine.

I have read somewhere that adding equalizing components actually makes a rectifier LESS reliable, because these equalizing components can fail, and will then impose much larger overload on a specific diode. It makes sense.

Manfred