Re: [Amps] Rectifier equilization?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rectifier equilization?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:24:49 -0400
This brings up something I have been wondering about. I agree the maximum surge current would be limited by resistance in transformer windings and primary wiring. But I believe the surge current rating on diodes is for a very short period of time. My memory may be wrong but I think it might be one half cycle at 60 Hz? Surely one half cycle won't fully charge the filter capacitor(s). How many half cycles would required to fully charge them? My guess is that the surge at each half cycle would be somewhat lower as the capacitor charges, but would take several cycles to taper to a steady state value.

Why is the diode surge rating for a single half cycle? If it can handle that surge once, why not more than once? Does heat become the limiting factor after only one or two half cycle surges? What would the diode surge handling capability be on the second... third... etc. half cycle? What would be the point at which this repetitive but decaying surge would harm the diode?

BTW, my 4000 volt supply has a step start that slowly ramps the voltage to about 3000 volts over 4 to 5 seconds before the step start relay actuates. There still must be a considerable surge to finish charging the 32 uF oil cap, because when that step start relay pulls in the house lights flicker!

Note: my step start is controlled by a ramped DC voltage. The relay coil has no voltage applied until the DC control voltage ramps up to a pre-determined point. When that rising DC voltage reaches the pre-determined trip point, the control circuit momentarily applies 150% of rated coil voltage to the relay. This causes it to pull in quickly and cleanly, which may not be said of some step start circuits I have seen. This may (or may not) have some influence on the surge taking the cap from 3000 to 4000 volts. After the relay has pulled in its coil voltage is reduced to 50% of rated, which is more than enough to keep it solidly closed while limiting heating of the somewhat large coil.

73,
Paul N1BUG