Re: [Amps] Combiners for SS amps + cooling issues.

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "'Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Combiners for SS amps + cooling issues.
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:54:48 +0300
....it's quite a primary concern!!
        The problem with filter capacitors is their relatively large series
inductance-ESL.
Since most diode killers are fast rising transients, of relatively short
duration, most of the transient voltage develops across the ESL and the cap
doesn't help.
        In modern TV sets there is a special low ESL film capacitor- about
2uF- connected across the input line, ahead of everything except the fuse.
This is the best protection you can reasonably have. Tackling longer
duration transients with high energy content would require such massive
components that you couldn't afford them, or else, some kind of cutout
circuit to disconnect the power supply from the line during the transient.
This was usually done in military vehicular equipment.
Alex    4Z5KS