[Amps] Combiners for SS amps + cooling issues.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Combiners for SS amps + cooling issues.
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:06:34 -0700
OM Power   makes a combiner to handle up to THREE of their amps.
I believe its rated for 5 kw CCS.

On the subject of cooling....or say water / liquid cooling, I would think that
Freon would be the ideal ticket.   Then you can really extract heat.

Another possible variation  would be to use standard water cooling, with
a small air cooled radiator /HE.... but supplement it with freon.  With freon
being used solely to assist in cooling the  external water  loop.

With normal water cooling, even with an eff Heat exchanger and big fan, the best
you can do is to get the water no lower than ambient room air temp.  With freon,
you could easily get it down to  40 F.

If you had an endless cheap supply of water you could always use plane cold tap
water.
It works for dummy loads, but at 2-4 gpm.... it’s a waste really.   Best to
mount the radiator
/ HE  outdoors..and air cool it.

leigh, what’s the highest vcc  you can put on any of these SS devices ??    It
sure would be nice to
just rectify the 120 vac  from the wall plug, with or without any isolation
xfmr.

I’ll let you SS experts sort it all out..but it is exciting stuff.   In the
meantime, I will stick with
my 3CX-3000A7 / YU-148  ceramic GG triodes.   Just a  bandswitched PI
input..and a  bandswitched PI output..pretty simple.
Simple B+  supply.  No combiners, and  no myriad of LP filters required.  It
will run class A-AB-C.  IMD is superb.
Easy to cool.   Easy to duct the hot air to the outside in summer  hot wx.

Jim  VE7RF