Re: [Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

To: <g8on@fsmail.net>, "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "'Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:15:22 +0300
I'll tell you!
Back in the nineties at Tadiran we designed for the Navy a switching power
supply based on a PFC IC the rationale was that in order to correct the power
factor, it had first to make it sinusoidal, so as to resemble the voltage
waveform. In this format, the input is inductive, not capacitive and the damned
thing was so quiet that we had trouble convincing the inspector that the supply
was working. The Navy had very stringent requirements on second harmonic
generation of the mains (120 Hz),  because it interferes with sonar operation.
Alex    4Z5KS