Re: [Amps] ?Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the

To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ?Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the
From: Tomm V Aldridge <taldridge@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:38:37 -0700
I think there is confusion between PF and crest factor here.  A C input
filter will draw all of its current in pulses around the rectified peaks of
the AC sine wave.  The crest factor will be much higher than the 1.414 of a
resistive load and harmonic content is high.

For us at home the implications are some flat topping of the voltage
waveform and the inability to draw full rated power from any particular
outlet.  In large buildings with 3 phase distribution, expected neutral
current cancellation is not even close to achievable and fires may result
if CF is not controlled.

KD7QAE