Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:45:49 -0500
On 2/10/2014 5:03 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
The math is a sideshow.  These SSR are getting fried and I'm not sure
the root cause has been laid bare.

Wrong relay for the application?  Some sort of TVS or MOV needed?

I've mentioned before, we used 50,000 Joule MOVs across back to back SCRs. We'd get 2 or 3 guys on the back end of a fork lift to keep the wheels on the ground when lifting one of these transformers. Not that 3 big men amounted to much compared to the weight of those big forklifts. They were however enough to just make the difference. In the lowest tap these transformers were low voltage and "very HIGH" current. How much is still proprietary, but one could power quite a few luxury homes with the KVA of one of these transformers..

Typically we'd lose the SCRs AND MOVs if the power didn't reach zero before switching. The power in that back EMF was horrendous. I don't know if the MOVs saved any SCRs, but I'd assume so because we kept buying them. I'll have to put up a photo of the insides of one of the SCRs. They definitely were not a "chip".

"I would assume" the solid state relays suffer from many of the same ills these did. Unlike typical MOV installations, these always failed open, because when they failed, the entire MOV was vaporized. There weren't even any little pieces to sweep up.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com