Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 23:58:17 -0500
On 2/20/2014 10:22 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
Jack, many homebrewers hang the blower off the rear panel to allow
pressurizing the entire amplifier cabinet. That certainly gets the cooling job
done but with maximum blower noise.

Another approach is to locate the blower inside the amplifier and only
pressurize the tube from the bottom. Ameritron AL1200,1500 and maybe others
work  that way and have much lower blower noise.

The smaller Alphas went that route as well.
My 76A has a muffin fan on the back, blowing into the cabinet ans a squirrel cage blower in the middle, pressurizing the tube base compartment and silicone rubber chimneys to the top from the tubes.

73

Roger (K8RI)

My homebrew vhf and uhf amplifiers are built that way. There is a three or
four inch diameter hole in the rear panel for air intake. The hole is
covered  with a K&S round air filter to keep dust and bugs out. The filter
further  reduces the noise and keeps the amplifier clean as a whistle inside.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/20/2014 6:51:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,