Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:17:38 -0500
On 2/25/2014 5:18 PM, k7fm wrote:
To add to Peter's list:

9.  Never set a 14" long crescent wrench on a 1700 amp-hour battery. You
will need to change shorts and your crescent wrench will turn into
molten balls about the size of BBs.

And once you drop it, don't try to grab and pull it off. You will lose a LOT of hide. Painfully too. I accidentally shorted a loop of #10 copper across a car battery. It vaporized before I could even start to open my fingers. That was a deep cut, Thankfully it didn't get any Tendons. The muscle regrew! But damn that hurt!

On a different note, I worked with Mass Spectrometers for a while. I don't know the rating of those BIG electromagnets, but if it tried to take a wrench away, you just let have it. It'd crush your hand including bones.

They used a large Tesla coil to vaporize samples, accelerated the ions and shot them through 2 curved,charged plates about a foot long. These plates were between the poles of the magnet. The magnets (with windings) weighed between a half ton and a ton.

This was done in a vacuum. They started with mechanical, rotary vane pumps that'd make about 10^1 Torr. then the diffusion pumps sing silicon 705 oil to about 10^7. Then they switched to ion pumps (no exhaust, the ions were absorbed in the base of the pump.) I don't remember the ultimate vacuum, but all O-rings were gold wire. I kept the wire in a plain old desk drawer under tools. No one bothered the tools, and who would keep a bunch of pure gold in a tool drawer. I kept the Platinum for the platinum, platinum/rhodium thermocouple wires in the same drawer<:-)) I made a lot of thermocouples, from copper copper/constantan (sp?) to the platinum. I also did the silver plating as well.

BTW: In the early days, the entire reactor base plate (for making poly crystalline Silicon) was solid silver.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Colin K7FM