Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?
From: KA4INM radio <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:57:33 -0400
  On 10/29/14 17:03, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

This last contest weekend I was at the CE6TC contest site. It was a two
station setup, one equipped with an Alpha 89, the other with a Ten Tec.
Both amps worked great, but the streams of hot air blown out by the
amps, overheating the room, are a testimony to how antiquated that
technology is. Overall there was more heat than RF power. I really think
we need something better.

I have always contended the Push pull class "B" "cross neutralized" RF amplifier to be the most *overall* efficient amplifier configuration available to us. You must consider the key up power consumption when considering *overall* efficiency. I prefer using tetrodes in this configuration. The only problem is band switching is awkward and difficult. It is perfect for single band amplifiers. In this configuration the tubes are individually biased on SLIGHTLY to compensate for the crossover distortion, in this case it is still being operated Class "B."
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.