Re: [Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?
From: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:35:30 -0400

On Wed,9/14/2016 9:25 PM, c miller (c_miller_1@hotmail.com) wrote:
They are running a pair of toroidal transformers to get the capacity and feeding each one off a separate 220 circuit so you would not need a monster feeder to the shack.

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 12:03 PM Jim Brown (jim@audiosystemsgroup.com) replied: A "monster feed?" It is easy to run #10 copper to one or more an outlets. #10 can be fused at 30A in North America. #8 and #6 copper are not all that uncommon, and often run to sub-panels. Doing the arithmetic, 30A is 7,200 W at 240V. Last I looked, the FCC Rules limit my output power to 1,500W. Dunno about other countries. How many of these amps would be transmitting simultaneously? Is this for a multi-multi contesting station?

Actually just as a matter of minor interest, I have run #6 copper to a single 60 amp outlet to power a Henry 8K. No big deal. It would be interesting to compare the 8K (3CX3000A7) against the OM4000HF with the pair of FU-728F's, or possibly 4CX1500's? Back in the day, the 4CX1500 was a drop in replacement for the Collins 30S-1, which then brings up the Alpha 8410. Any experts care to make comparison comments? I'm just an interested listener. Or lurker. Both terms apply.

And if I may, I've always had tremendous respect for FCC rules and regulations, but that said, comparing a gent who has Rhombics facing each cardinal direction fed with 1500 watts, compared to some poor soul with a dipole running his home brew pair of 4-1000's or even a 3CX10000..... No, it is not legal... but when trying to bust the pile-up, I get it. Just sayin.

Mark
WA3JPY