Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 18:35:34 +0000

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 05:17:32 -0600, K5UJ wrote:

>Building is
>cost effective because the parts are not purchased new.

REPLY:

The most cost effective approach to ham radio is to buy quality used
equipment. If one buys the really good stuff, one can almost always
resell it later for nearly what one paid for it and sometimes even
more. Been there, done that.

Cost of ownership:  Zero, or close to it, not to mention saving dozens
or even hundreds of hours of your time. .

And that is all but impossible with homebrew. Been there, done that
too.

Don't get me wrong. I am a homebrewer. Built a 40 meter mobile SSB
transceiver from scratch some years ago (my own design) and numerous
amplifiers including my pride and joy, an 8877 brick on the key linear
which I will stack up against any manual tune amp Alpha makes. I will
admit that a full autotune amp is a bit more than I care to tackle.

In all my projects, current flows from negative to positive. :-)

Full disclosure: While I am proud of my 8877 amp, I am also a RTTY
contester and for that I need an autotune amp, so my daily driver is
an Alpha 9500 which I bought used and I could probably sell it
tomorrow for more than I paid for it, or at the worst, break even.

Again, to each his own.

73, Bill W6WRT