Re: [Amps] TenTec 425 Plate Current at Standby

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TenTec 425 Plate Current at Standby
From: Mark Robinson <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 16:07:48 -0500
I have a Tentec 425 as well (Golden Series) and I love this amplifier.

I have had this plate current problem twice in the last two years and both times it was a bad Chinese Matchlett tube.

I hope it turns out to be a bias problem as K2XX has described. I tried the tube swap first as it was easier and I had some spare Eimac tubes on hand.

When using this amp watch the grid current at all times. I like to keep mine at 30mA. If you are showing too much grid current when tuned then I increase the Tune setting by maybe 0.5 and then reload for max RF. This gives less amp gain and you will see less grid current. I keep a table handy with all the settings for the different bands and spot frequencies My amp is a later model and has grid current protection. I don't think some of the earlier models had this protection. It is a quite simple circuit where the current monitoring voltage is applied to the base of a transistor through a resistor and once the current drive voltage gets too high it turns off the bias to the tubes.

73 Mark N1UK