Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 14:15:43 -0400
I just cut the anode off a dud 4CX1000A. The control grid structure cannot be seen until I determine how to cut away the screen grid without destroying the control grid which I am going to guess is not far inside it.

I ran a 4CX1000A with 5 mA grid current on CW at 144 MHz for years. I don't know whether the tube was harmed in any way but this but performance never changed. I had it biased to near cutoff with only about 10 mA plate idling current, but I don't recall what the grid voltage was. I would guess somewhere around 75V. At 5 mA that's still not much grid dissipation!

Paul