Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 16:48:05 -0400
Add to that, the lack of knowledge in electronics, building, and the general age of "old timers", module / pallet replacement seems even more likely. Most of today's rigs use an output module.

It's probably going to mean a lot more work (and money) for those doing repair work. The old Collins and Hallicrafters rigs were relatively easy to repair and align. Very few of us have the knowledge and fairly expensive equipment to repair today's rigs so it's back to the factory, or authorized repair center with shipping costs as much, or more than the cost of repairing the old rigs.

As for device / pallet, replacement we are kinda getting back to requirements similar to bipolar substitution, although I think gain of the LDMOS will be less critical than with bipolars as long as it's sufficient (and fits). The Yaesu Quadra is an example of an amp that would be easy to upgrade and make much more rugged except for the device. Examples do exist with the 150 W devices being replaced with 300 W devices successfully, but the conversions were neither simple or straight forward and required a much more rugged Power Supply, making it a major rebuild.

73, Roger (K8RI)