Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 03:46:36 -0400
Although I agree, I would modify the conclusions a bit.
High power semiconductor device technology is becoming more mature, with the result of longer device life cycles. Also, the longer a device remains viable the more money the device maker makes. Silicon wafers have gone from around a half inch to an inch when I started in the industry in 1961 to approaching 14 inches last I knew. A wafer 14 inches in diameter has a more uniform composition in addition to an area that yields many good devices. This reduces the cost per device greatly. This means they can cut the price and still make a greater profit.

Starting with polycrystalline silicon out of the reactors, by the time the device is finished over half the silicon is waste. In the late 1960s, or into the 70s, the company I worked for implemented a new method for sawing wafers from single crystal rods. This reduced the loss by over 50% and basically doubled the output in just around a week which made for a major cost reduction in price which suddenly created a glut of silicon and resulted in a reduction in the number of companies selling poly and wafers. Incidentally, poly is now available right out of the reactors in a more pure state than was available in single crystal form just a few decades ago.

I believe the top companies are selling in the neighborhood of a thousand metric tons of poly each. So it's likely the new devices we see today may be in production twice as long (or longer) than earlier devices.

One of the problems ham gear faces are the use of small production runs using specific devices to save a few dollars, meaning replacement devices may not be available for long.

The current crop of new devices is likely to be around much longer than devices made just 10 years ago. OTOH as W8HW said, the input of the high power devices is extremely fragile. Over drive and spikes of very short (few Ms) duration that wouldn't faze a tube can be fatal for SS devices.

OTOH, there is little danger of transistors setting on the shelf for long periods going bad, unlike tubes with glass to metal seals. I do think SS amps, or SS top end amps will replace the equivalent tube amps in around a decade

73, Roger (K8RI)