[Amps] Bird 43P Stopped Working

To: Amplifier Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Bird 43P Stopped Working
From: Jay Sturtevant <k2ztdx@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 14:02:49 -0500
Hello,

My Bird 43P has been in line for about 5 years on a shelf above an amp. I
keep a Bird 2500 H slug in the meter and rarely rotate it to look at
reflected power.

Yesterday the Bird 43P indicated only about 120 watts forward and zero
power in reverse. I usually have about a 1000 watts forward and a needle's
width in reverse. I do not put a lower power slug in the 43P to measure
reflected power unless I notice a problem, however, yesterday I tried a
250H slug after lowering the drive to the amp - - zero F, Zero R.

I removed my Bird 43P and replaced it with a Bird 43. I used the same 2500H
slug that was in my 43P, and again, 1050 watts F. and a needle's width in
Reflected.

I rarely use the peak reading function of the 43P, so there are no nine
volt batteries in the meter, however, I cycled the Average/Peak switch a
number of times- - made no difference.

I think the slug contact in the line section may be at fault, or maybe the
coaxial pigtail.

I'd really appreciate you suggestions!
Thanks!

Jay, K2ZT