Re: [Amps] Transmission line stubs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transmission line stubs
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:18:57 -0700
Thanks Jim for the informative summary presentation and paper on stub placement and design. I built a small 1/4wave shorted stub to protect GMRS base station receiver long ago in a remote location (lightning/static build up on antenna).

In my job, I designed 1/4 wave stub for the output of a 3 MW peak power 200 MHz amplifier, that was commercially produced (well, 8 of them). It is in 9-3/16 inch coax, so you can imagine the trick in deciding where the Tee junction ends for the stub. When line is that large in diameter, there are some fudge factors related to the location of the junction, so that you get the exact quarter wave. Robert Pound at the MIT Rad Lab in WWII wrote about this. He was an interesting chap. Back then coaxial cables didn't exist so they build air insulated transmission lines at first, for high powered radar. The center conductor supports were 1/4 wave stubs until Teflon and Rexolite became usable insulators.

https://ethw.org/Oral-History:Robert_Pound

We designed empirically at first, cut and try, then modeled it using CST Microwave Studio and succeeded. The purpose of this stub was not to provide 2nd harmonic attenuation but to be able to short the output enough to get a drive shaft in there to be able adjust the output coupling in the big cavity amplifier while it is running. It works beautifully, having a bellows on the center conductor of the big coax, and a capacitive paddle in the PA. However, the benefit of the second harmonic trap effect was welcome of course. The f2 component of the PA is suppressed -50 dBc after the stub. At least 25-30 dB added notch there.

There is another benefit to using a second or third harmonic stub after a tube or solid state power amplifier, but it is a second order effect that may conflict with your other design goals. You can modify the PA anode current waveform in a tube amplifier and likewise affect the waveforms in transistor drains by judicious spacing of the stub from the PA. Its not effective for multiple path binary combiners such as used to combine a lot of solid state pallets (in broadcasting for FM or TV for example) unless every cable length is identical to each module from the combiner. In tube PA's, this sort of 'waveform engineering' in PA design is essentially how class F works. By suppressing the first even or odd harmonic with a stub placed a specific distance away from the active amplifying device, you can square up the waveform a smidgen which increases the PA efficiency. Its based on the Fourier reconstruction of the modified sinewave. There are numerous papers on this, I can supply if interested.

This isn't of much use on multiband amplifiers or systems that must change frequency significantly.

73

John Lyles

K5PRO