Software Piracy

Subject: Software Piracy
From: thm@rmc.liant.com (Tom Morrison)
Date: Wed Nov 24 08:49:46 1993
[I have been attempting to post the following for a week.  My thanks to
Trey for sticking with me to work out the annoying e-mail problems.
Trey has proven to be very "customer oriented"!]

 Bill AI6E wtr@mitre.org writes:

"...  Now developers certainly look at pirated copies of software as
lost revenue, but this is based on the assumption that the user of a
pirated copy would under other circumstances have payed for the
software.  Sometimes, users of pirated software do decide the product
is worth supporting, and buy legal copies.  I maintain that if a user
really needs a product, they usually also need the support, and buy a
legal copy.  Most pirate users, however, do not really need the
software, and when pressed would delete their illegal copy rather
than purchase the software.   ..."

I am unable to understand how software should be considered as
somehow different from any other retail (i.e. end user) transaction.  If
Bill were to substitute a typical retail product in this argument (for
example, ... Now [retailers] certainly look at [stolen televisions] as
lost revenue, but this is based on the assumption that the [thief]
would under other circumstances have paid for the [television]...), the
obvious unethical, if not indeed criminal, behavior is exposed.

There exist market mechanisms in which the entrepreneur explicitly
permits try-before-buy use of software products; this is known as
shareware.  If the seller of software does not offer a product as
shareware, then even try-before-buy is illegal.  The market
mechanism known as warranty also exists to address  most support
issues immediately after purchase.  And in case of gross
misrepresentation, there are criminal statutes.

[sri to pick on Bill; there have been several rationalizations posted.
One of the best(?) is:]

N2AA posts:
"Let me get this straight:  contest organizers (ie. hobby magazines)
are going to supply lists to industry of contestants ... possible legal
action or perhaps just your run of the mill reminder not to screw with
industry.

... this KGB type crap ..."

A more market oriented approach, which would be a win-win situation
for both the contest administrator (CA) and software entrepreneur (SE),
is:

TheCA (the major ones being either profit or not-for-profit businesses,
both of which need revenue to continue publishing "hobby magazines")
could make available mailing lists of contest entrants, qualified to
whatever level the CA feels is cost effective.  The SE has the option of
purchasing the list, either directly or blind through a third party, to
advertise or request registration (perhaps through a "special offer").

The availability of these lists should raise few concerns.  The callsign,
and thereby the name and address, of each entrant is public knowledge
as soon as results are published.  The CA, while recapturing some
administration costs,  provides a "value add" by removing the need for
the SE to enter all the published callsigns, matching against an
address database, and providing other information to allow the SE to
most wisely use his meager resources.  Of course, the SE -- likely an
active contester -- could just match up his log against the address
database for starters.

I strongly urge those that lean toward an enforcement approach (in
virtually any situation) to take a moment or two and think of a means to
use peoples' own perception of self interest to create a win-win.

73 from K5TM

----
Tom Morrison   thm@rmc.liant.com
Liant Software Corporation