Open Logs

Subject: Open Logs
From: ae327@lafn.org (Richard Norton)
Date: Tue Oct 18 22:01:45 1994

Re K1VR's comments on open logs -

There are two reasons why people oppose open logs:

1) Entrants have things in their logs that they don't want anyone
to see. This can include:

     a) logging errors
     b) contacts that did not occur
     c) exclusive contacts with friends, XYLs, or operators of
        multi-op stations.

2) Log checkers have something they don't want anyone to see.
This can include:

     a) not checking the log at all
     b) doing a poor job of checking the log.

Although these are understandable reasons, I personally do not
feel they justify secret logs. I wrote an article in the
March/April 1991 NCJ suggesting an open log policy in contests.

There were two other responses to K1VR's posting that deserve
comment.

I have personally examined, checked, and even judged a lot of
logs. I have yet to see a log with operating secrets that should
be kept private for legitimate competitive advantage.

If I operated in a contest where someone "fed" me bogus calls,
and my operating and callsign identification skills were
inadequate to detect this, and the judges' skills and efforts did
not detect it, I would be happy if a third party would point this
out. I would not want to receive credit for these contacts.

I have no objection to the sponsor of any contest showing any of
my entries to any interested person. If the interested people
feel more comfortable asking the contest sponsor for my log
than asking me, I think that is ok.

This would be a good topic for the CAC to take up regarding ARRL
contests. I understand that asking the log checkers to submit
their work to scrutiny might not be received well, but I think it
would benefit contesting overall.

73,

Dick N6AA,    (no E-mail address after Oct 19 for a while)