Tower Help

Subject: Tower Help
From: flanders@GroupZ.net (Jerry Flanders) (Jerry Flanders)
-...
I am in seriously contemplating putting up a tower here at my QTH in
Florida, and was wondering were I could get information on how to make wind
survival versus tower size tradeoffs, guy selection, etc....

... survival comparisons between Rohn 25, 45 and 55 to see if
the heavier tower sections are worth the added expense.

Please respond direct to me at mtope@iu.net.

73 de Mike, AD4VH

I am responding here because there have been several postings recently
concerning tower engineering data.

A few years ago ROHN published a nice manual with engineering data on their
tower line. Not only the ham stuff like the 25/45/55, but even the
commercial stuff. It had their factory engineering data as well as guy
design recommendations, concrete base specs, even dead-man design. I never
used it for such, but I suspect copies of those pages would have overwhelmed
the average county building permit clerk, provided you intended building to
those specs. It also had maps showing what areas of the CONUS were rated for
the different wind threat levels, so you could determine exactly which set
of standards you should be constructing for. No guesswork, just good
engineering-based design stuff.

I don't know if it is still available, but it sure would be a worthwhile
addition to any ham's library. It was free for the asking back then.

Jerry       W4UKU      South Carolina     flanders@groupz.net