What REALLY makes you good?

Subject: What REALLY makes you good?
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 18:01:22 1996
Interesting question....the baddest OP I ever saw was a fellow club
member...I broke into Sweepstakes doing a multi op from his shack..learned
more in that weekend than I had in the previous 15 yr ham career...Picture
this.... Two 781's, side by side , one set of headphones...the left ear piece
is the left or multiplier rig and the right ear is the right "run" rig..a
neat switching gizmo, one paddle and a totally consumed operator capable of
going 48 hours. The antenna farm is nothing special by todays standards in
elite level contest stations..TH6/TH7/TH6 stack and a few wires for the low
bands....but this OP is consistantly in the top1% of his peers because of his
preperation, stamina and his desire to excel. Of course the mental acuity to
be able to run in the right ear at 200 an hour while searching for and
working mults with the left ear HELPS!  Those of you in that circle know of
whom I speak...the rest of you will figure it out :) sooner or later....I
will not embarass him with call here but he has a REAL LONG hat pin in case
your rate drops below what HE thinks it should be. His advise to me when I
was just learning the ropes was to work as many contests as you can and
always try to beat your previous score. Pretty simple instructions, huh?
There is no better education than experience but I think his desire (we used
to call it heart) and stamina are what sets him apart from his peers. What is
really scary is that there are a lot of this same kind of class A personality
,highly talented, and bulldog determined operators in my club! I learn so
much by just listening. I just hope some of it rubs off :)

                                        73 de Doug // N3ADL // FRC

DX is...
DXpedition is better    : P