[Fwd: Re: NCJ article on CONTEST RULES]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: NCJ article on CONTEST RULES]
From: ky1h@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Thu May 23 20:32:54 1996

--------------1DB318DB22A2

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html

--------------1DB318DB22A2

Subject: Re: NCJ article on CONTEST RULES
From: David Robbins <ky1h@berkshire.net>
To: HENRYPOL@aol.com

HENRYPOL@aol.com wrote:

> At the risk of being severly flamed (that's OK; got a new fire extinguisher
> with the new fishing boat), I am curious as to why there has not been any
> thread started relative to KR2Q's extensive article in the latest NCJ about
> Contest Rules.
>
> Is it because all of us are guilty of breaking at least one of the rules as
> defined by Doug (re: CT's F8 feature)?  So we don't want to talk about it!
>
> Or, was all of this discussed and "put-to-bed" at Dayton?
>
> Question: Should this article be REQUIRED READING for each operator before
> every major contest?
>
> 73,
> Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
> henrypol@aol.com

oh, that was serious??  i had pretty much figured it was left over
from the april issue.  if that article is really what the published
rules mean i wonder what contest rules i have been reading for all
these years.

besides a few comments about not trusting what you read on packet and
logging all the qso's you make including zero pointers the rest of it
is more confusing than the published rules and seems to extend the
rules beyond what they clearly say.  maybe doug would like lots of this
stuff in the rules, but we would all be so busy checking each qso to
figure out if it was a type a, b, c, or d, that we would never log
anything.  and his conclusions that basically 'if it isn't specifically
allowed then it is banned' is truly anti-progress.  after all if
'athletes enhance their equipment all the time' what do you call getting
a better computer program or improving your club's teamwork with a
better cluster network?  If there were indeed limits on technology
and what it could and couldn't do it should have been spelled out long
ago, much like power limits are now for the various classes.  it almost
sounds like doug is advocating a return to paper logs and is adding
a requirement to use indelible ink and pre bound and numbered logs.

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html

--------------1DB318DB22A2--

>From km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher KM9P)  Thu May 23 21:07:45 1996
If you made the "box" in 96 for your area, please take the time to send
me your rate sheets in an email message.  We are collecting them and
making them available via the WWW.

Actually, I would be interested in any rate sheets from this winter in
the ARRL DX, WPX, CQWW, or SS.

Thanks

Bill, KM9P

>From jholly@hposl62.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback)  Thu May 23 21:30:10 1996
> At the risk of being severly flamed (that's OK; got a new fire extinguisher
> with the new fishing boat), I am curious as to why there has not been any
> thread started relative to KR2Q's extensive article in the latest NCJ about
> Contest Rules.

Well, he got part of quite wrong ... the part about the operator needs to
receive and send it all. Guess he never worked a RTTY contest, or Dear
Doug has a talent most of us lack. Made me wonder about the rest.

73, Jim, WA6SDM
jholly@cup.hp.com

--
Jim Hollenback