MRIR Effect - June 96 CQ, PROPAGATION column

Subject: MRIR Effect - June 96 CQ, PROPAGATION column
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 23 19:24:26 1996
Hello George...
I found your relating of the findings of Chuck Bolland, KA4PRF to be most
interesting... I had the immediate reaction of "why didn't I think of that?",
as I find his hypothesis that reflected solar radiation from the moon can
affect the level of ionization in the ionosphere of the night side as being
both plausible and likely...
I would like to discuss the term "unscientific" used by both the author and
you, to describe his work to date...  I have to disagree with that
assessment... While his system of measuring the signal quality can be
markedly improved and made less subjective, I find his work to date to be in
the tradition of field research in science... Galileo, DaVinci, Mendel,
Darwin, Marconi, Feynman, and many others, would immediately recognize his
methodology...  new scientific findings are frequently the result of a chance
observation or hunch,  and the initial field  data, which helps convince the
observer (and others) that the topic is worth following in a more rigorous
fashion can be quite subjective...
For an example I refer you to Fleming's chance observation of mold spots
which led to penicillin... nothing could be more unscientific at first blush
than happening to notice that a common mold on a _single_ laboratory dish
appeared to be growing in areas where the  E. Coli bacteria had failed to
grow, and deciding that this was an important finding... other scientists
would have argued that the mold grew there by sheer chance because of the
lack of competition from the bacteria, and that nothing could be learned by
expending further time and effort on the matter... So, the "unscientific"
method is not necessarily bad...

The opposite corollary is an important finding which was shrugged off as
being an error...
Shockly and his team were working with various materials in a diode junction
arrangement,  measuring their conductive properties... when analyzing the lab
data he noticed one series of measurements, where a small current flow
injected by a third lead into the mercury droplet used to make the electrical
connection to the material being tested caused a larger change in the current
flowing through the other two leads of the circuit - i.e. the first
transistor had been created in a glass dish in the laboratory... he remembers
looking at that data and deciding that it had to be a lab error because it
violated the well understood science of electrical circuits...  this decision
delayed the discovery of the transistor by years... so, the scientific method
 is not always good...

Chuck...
I find the possibility of the MRIR Effect (Moon Reflected Ionizing Radiation
)  <term by k8do> to be an exciting addition to the contestors armamentarium
and I am interested in participating in this research...

Cheers   ...   Denny             k8do@aol.com