[CQ-Contest] WPX Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Contest
From: VK1FF@contesting.com (VK1FF)
Date: Fri Mar 21 01:01:49 1997
I would not be in favor of increasing the point value for same
country contacts.

Many contesters down here already feel the scoring (read multipliers)
encourages too much intra-country and intra-continent contacts, making
it harder for weaker DX stations to make contacts.

I can't count the number of times I've had to standby while US stations
on 40M work other North American stations (mainly US).  And why not,
in the big scheme of things a VK1 or any VK prefix is really no big deal,
when you can work several louder multiplier prefixes in your own back
yard.

Interest in the WPX down here is already moderately low, especially
compared to DX oriented contests like "CQ WW DX" which encourage contacts
with zone 29/30 (as well as the other zones).  I think changing the
intra-country point value will probably result even less DX participation
(except for possibly US-EU, US-JA).

73, Jim VK1FF/WB2FFY

Internet Email:        VK1FF@contesting.com
Amateur Radio Packet:  VK1FF@VK1KCM.ACT.AUS.OC