[CQ-Contest] CONTEST CATEGORIES vs. HIDING PLACES

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CONTEST CATEGORIES vs. HIDING PLACES
From: desmith@Telalink.Net (Doug Smith)
Date: Fri Nov 21 14:59:07 1997
At 11:45 PM 11/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Sub-categories have been criticized as "hiding places for wimps".
>The Olympics have been cited as an example of good competition.
>The Olympics have MANY  events  (categories)....

Fully agreed.  Is the Olympic champion in the 100m dash not a real champion
because he couldn't run the marathon?

We compete where we feel our strengths are.  IMHO any category is valid as
long as there are enough entrants in that category to show that there is, in
fact, competition.  If 50 people in Alabama decide to operate QRP in the WW
CW, that's competition & the one with the highest score deserves recognition.

73 Doug

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net.xxx
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com.xxx
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)
(.xxx added to end of email address to hopefully foil spammers)