[CQ-Contest] claiming credit for a KNOWN busted call?????

Subject: [CQ-Contest] claiming credit for a KNOWN busted call?????
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com (bogus@does.not.exist.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 09:19:08 1997
In a message dated 97-11-19 13:48:36 EST, SOMEBODY wrote:

<< I have the same problem here with people getting my call wrong.
  When operating CW contests, I am constantly having people work me as
 xx1xxx instead of xx1xxk.  Most of the time I try to correct it, but lots
 of time it doesn't get done.  I'm with you, I should get credit for the
 contact, but the other stations shouldn't. >>

My intention is NOT to dump on any one person, so I've "modified" the
callsigns used, since they are irrelevant.

I am SHOCKED by what I have been reading.  If you KNOW that they other guy
got your call wrong, you should NOT COUNT IT!  I think it is OUTRAGEOUS to
say, "I should get credit and they should not."  If this scenario were to be
the case, what incentive would there be to CORRECT your call?  Why "waste the
time?"  Does this imply that if I send KR2Q and the other guy copies KR2G
that I COULD say, "ah...close enough...I'll get the credit and the other guy
won't."  ??????  If I try to correct my call once and he still doesn't get
it, is it "now" okay to log it, even though I KNOW he still doesn't have it
right?  How about after 2 times?  3 times?  Is there a limit?

If you KNOW that the other guy got your call WRONG, then NO qso took place!
 If the other guy doesn't send your corrected call back, then you will just
have to take a guess at whether or not to log the call in good conscience.
 But if you KNOW he got it wrong???? NO WAY I'D LOG IT!

[the opinions expressed are my own and are not necessarily representative of
any group or committee with which I may be associated]

de Doug KR2Q

 -
 ---