[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue Jan 13 12:48:57 1998
This is developing into an excellent thread, but triggers an additional
question:

My QTH loses power fairly often in the winter.  This is critical only
because my well pump is electric, but in some circumstances (including
CONTESTS) I'd also like to be able to keep the radio running, tho probably
not QRO ;^}.

Anyway, in the interest of simplicity and low cost, I had thought to use a
currently open 220 volt outlet in my garage as the input for my generator
power.  So if I lose the mains, I would open the main breaker on my power
panel (isolating my house from the mains), plug the generator into the 220
outlet (it's a 220 genny, natch) and start it up.  When I see the
neighbors' lights come back on, I turn off and unplug the generator, and
then close the main breaker to restore power.

Anything wrong with this scenario?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"