[CQ-Contest] CW Contesting Tips

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Contesting Tips
From: Ve3bmv@aol.com (Ve3bmv@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 12:17:01 1998
In a message dated 98-07-13 15:31:32 EDT, KH2D writes:

<<  And you thought NCJ was the only place to find this stuff......

KH2D's Tips For Successful CW Contesting

....HOW DO I FIND A FREQUENCY TO CALL CQ ? Tune around until you can't hear
anything on a particular frequency for at least 30 milliseconds. Then press
the 'CQ CONTEST' button on your keyer. If you hear other stations when the CQ
CONTEST message is finished, simply press the button again. Continue to do
this until other stations begin to call you, no matter how long it takes.
NEVER NEVER NEVER send 'QRL?' before CQ'ing. REAL contest stations never do
that. Don't spend a minute lisening to make sure that a frequency is clear
before you CQ, that is a major waste of time. If you wound up on a frequency
that already had somebody calling CQ, no problem. CQ DUELING is just a part of
contesting. If the other guy is serious about contesting, it will only take
you a few minutes to make him go away. Save that frequency in memory. It's
your home CQ frequency. If you QSY to work multipliers, always go back it
again.

....WHEN SHOULD I CALL CQ ? Always. REAL contest stations don't tune around.
They just sit in one spot and call CQ for 48 hours. Never mind where you are.
Somebody will call you, sooner or later. You must establish your importance by
planting your feet firmly on a frequency and calling CQ.

....Don't worry about the guys with six character call signs, they aren't real
contesters anyway - real contesters only have 3 or 4 letter calls.

....IF I ONLY CALL CQ, HOW DO I GET MULTIPLIERS ? Easy. Most stations in rare
locations are never serious contesters. They just get on so they can give out
multipliers to the serious contesters in Japan or California. If they were
serious, they would be CQ'ing, not calling you. When somebody you need for a
multiplier calls you, you just ask him to QSY to four or five other bands, and
then when that's finished you return to CQ'ing on your established home
frequency. Be persistent when QSY'ing people. Beg if you have to. Get nasty.
Do whatever it takes. Never mind the guy doesn't have an antenna for 160,
insist he goes to that band to try with his 40 meter antenna. This system has
been proven to work by many Caribbean contest expeditions.

....Well, that's about all I can think of to help you be successful in CW
contests. I have a long list of things that you can do to make contesters
unhappy, but I don't think I want to pass them out to the general public. Not
yet, anyway .....

????? Live and learn, Eh?
Or ... another reason to tape/record the contest.

Yuri, last operated as VE3BMV/1 (that's 8-letter callsign)