[CQ-Contest] W4AN's Contest Software Tip of the Day

Subject: [CQ-Contest] W4AN's Contest Software Tip of the Day
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Wed Jul 15 14:24:33 1998

No matter what software you use, you should always keep copys of
different versions of the software on your system named for the version.

For example, this weekend I started the IARU with NA 10.30.  Immediately
I noted that NA was not showing the multipliers right in the summary
window.  Not a big deal, but I still wanted to know what my score.

So when the rate went below 130 (like 2 hours in to the contest) I exited
to DOS and typed in  'NA1026 W4AN -now'  Bang... I was back and running
again in about 2 seconds with a version that did work.

Currently in my NA directory I have about 7 different EXE's all named for
the version.  There is not one NA.EXE in the directory.  As soon as I
explode a new version of the program from a ZIP file, I rename it for the
version.

Maybe everyone is doing this already.  If not, it's a good idea.

Tip #2:  I always make my autoexec.bat file so that it starts the
software automatically for the contest I am operating.  That way when Im
30 hours in to a 48 hour contest I dont have to try and remember where I
have NA on the hard disk or what file name I used after the computer
reboots itself or the power goes out.  I would think this is a must for
multi's or guest-op situations.

Adios

Bill