[CQ-Contest] 10 Meter Contest Minimum Off-time Period

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 10 Meter Contest Minimum Off-time Period
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 02:32:03 1998
I've read the "10 Meter Contest Rules" in the November, 1998 QST
announcement, and the "General Rules for All ARRL contests" and the "General
Rules for ARRL Contests on bands below 30 Mhz (HF)" alongside. I can't find
any mention of the minimum off-time increment.

The only rules relating to time are 2.1 & 2.2 of the contest specific rules;
2.1 "All stations operate no more than 36 out of the 48-hour period" and,
2.2 "Listening time counts as operating time." There is also 4.8 of the
General Rules which states, with regard to logging requirements, "In
contests that require rest periods, the "times on" and "times off" must be
in a separate column."

So how long do you have to walk away for it to count against the 12
hour off-time? 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes? If you get it wrong you
could be disqualified under rule 7.3 for "rubber clocking."

I'll grant you that even if 10 meters is hot during this year's contest it
will probably be dead for 6 hours straight, but since listening time counts
as operating time, if you want to try to find unusual openings at various
times, you could run into a 2.1 issue without knowing the minimum
increment of off-time.

73. Ken, K6LA - Ken Six Los Angeles, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM