[CQ-Contest] re: Casual contesters...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] re: Casual contesters...
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed Mar 21 01:42:12 2001

On 21 Mar 01, Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote:

 >  > it saying CQ was no longer available through him. IMO, not worth
 >  > $30+ to for one or two issues of contest results.
 >
 > If enough of us do this, we can kiss the CQ contests good bye in the
 > near future.  In my opinion, this view is very short-sighted.
 >
 > Adding this cost to the total amount of money that most of us, who are
 > even moderately serious, spend on our stations so that we can operate
 > these contests, the $30 or so is not even a percentage.  Just think of
 > what we spend on a fully automated SO2R setup.
 >
 > If there's no subscribers, there will be no magazine.  If there's no
 > magazine, there will be no contest (CQWW, WPX, et al).

<snip>
Bob,
What does CQ provide for me? One issue per year which I read the
contest results (CQWW CW). I don't care about the others. I do
enjoy reading K1ASomething's column. That's about it for CQ, for
me.
What does CQ provide for these contests? Printed results. That's
it, isn't it? We don't need it. It can be published on the Web (but
isn't to the chagrin of many of the international participants).
Unless I am missing something, EVERYTHING associated with
the CQ contests is provided by volunteer labor (log checking) and
outside sponsors (plaques). What's the difference if the WW and
WPX contests have CQ's name attached, or ARRL, RSGB, W5YI
Report or Worldradio?
Besides the above, this is my way to finally respond to years of
CQ's poor customer service, such as some never received
certificates, and other awards delayed for months or years. Yes, I
can afford the $30, but it's my choice to spend it elsewhere.
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com