[CQ-Contest] I won't log /QRP

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I won't log /QRP
From: chris@g3vbl.co.uk (Chris Pedder)
Date: Sat Mar 23 09:39:53 2002
At 12:40 22/03/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>At 09:49 3/22/2002 +0200, ahokas@tkukoulu.fi wrote:
>>Those who find life long enough for QRP can have their way. However,
>>announcing
>>it together with the call sign is merely a pathetic attempt to get into the
>>log! Using low power means being last in the queue, there's no need to try to
>>change that. /QRP isn't part of anybody's call, so logging it is totally
>>useless.
>========================>
>Might it be possible to clarify your feelings on this for the benefit of
>the person who asked the question?
>He might still be somewhat confused by your not getting to the point.
>BTW
>Sunshine is coming your way.
>It really is.
>The days will soon have sunlight.
>
>Bob Perring

I take my hat off to those who, quietly, work stations with qrp. More power
(pun intended) to their elbows, as some might say over here. I know of a
number of US stations with very high DXCC totals running qrp, but others
may not be aware of it simply because they do not add '/qrp' to their
'callsigns'.

Personally it has always been my practice to sign the call issued to me by
my licensing authority though I am bound to admit that, technically
speaking, from a particular call I made only three qsos with the exact call
specified in the licence and 90,000 with what I assume the licensing
authority really meant.

There is a number of operators who think that signing /qrp gives them
special privileges. They are allowed to call at any time irrespective of
the fact that a qso is already taking place and, when contacts are being
conducted at a quick pace, they can send their callsign for 60 seconds
without listening. Indeed there is no need to send the full call, mere
sending '/qrp' repeatedly should be sufficient for the DX station to stop
everything and attend to them.

In short they think that drawing attention to their being (?) qrp means
that everyone else should stop and wait for them. It's rather like the
'please listen for my buddy' nonsense aka 'lists'.

Real QRPers do not sign '/qrp'.

Chris G3VBL/8P9EM    (oh and VP6/8P9EM)