[CQ-Contest] Ideas for WRTC 2004

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ideas for WRTC 2004
From: n2nl@yahoo.com (David Mueller)
Date: Wed Jul 17 20:02:24 2002
   The pileup tapes were for fun only, and didn't
count toward the final score.
   As SSB/CW goes, here's my experiences as OJ3R.
   For us, QSOs counted the same for CW and SSB.
Europe was worth 1 QSO point, DX 2 points.  On the
high bands, SSB rates generally were better, because
you could simply work them faster on phone.  However,
most of these were Europe.  We were able to work far
more DX (W's) using CW, and thus our QSO Point per
hour was actually higher using that mode when the
bands were open stateside.  Also, we worked several
close in backscatter mults we never would have had the
chance to work using SSB.
   On 40 and 80, trying to find a hole in the narrow
phone subband with our 100w was nearly impossible
amungst the loud HQ and other EU stations.  On the
other hand, we were able to hold our own using CW and
get quite good rates.  We only used SSB here to work
new multipliers.
   After talking with the top 3 teams, I think they
generally followed the same strategy - they just did
it better than us.
   I think that a SSB only team with weak CW skills
would be at a SERIOUS disadvantage at a WRTC with
similar scoring.

73, Dave N2NL