RE: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:21:29 -0800
> does this affect the score? I have been unassisted most of my
> contesting life,
> up until 3 or 4 years ago. I notice VERY little improvement on my
> scores by
> using packet. Sure, a couple mults here & there, but, I would
> have worked most
> by old-fashioned tuning. It does however, bring the mult total up quicker!

I agree that packet doesn't maximize your mults.  Run this experiment ...

Turn on packet and let it fill up your Band Map for an hour.  Then, go to a
band and tune from one end to the other, IDing every signal not in the Band
Map.  Keep a list and count how many new mults you find that were not
already in the Band Map from packet.  This number will make you think twice
about relying on packet for your mults (or unworked stations).  It is one of
the motivations for SO2R.  But, then, we have threads on how that is
cheating, too.

73,
Ed - W0YK